Vanity Fair Magazine Cancels Annual Oscar Party

February 6, 2008–Vanity Fair magazine canceled its annual Oscar party, citingd the writers strike as a factor for its decision. The move comes after Ed Limato canceled his annual party on the Friday before the Oscars and puts into question the Saturday luncheon in honor of VF editor Graydon Carter at the home of Barry Diller and Diane Von Furstenberg.

In a statement, the magazine said, “After much consideration, and in support of the writers and everyone else affected by this strike, we have decided that this is not the appropriate year to hold our annual Oscar party. We want to congratulate all of this year's nominees, and we look forward to hosting our 15th Oscar party next year.”

Vanity Fair spokeswoman Beth Kseniak said that though the Writers Guild of America strike appears close to being settled, the mag still decided to pull the plug.

“Even though the strike might end, that doesn't necessarily mean things are going to return to normal immediately,” she said. “It's been a bad couple of months for a lot of different people, and it didn't seem like the appropriate time to throw a big party.”

For the past 14 years, the party had been at Mortons. This year it was scheduled to be held at Craft.

The Governors Ball, given by the Academy, should go on, while Elton John's AIDS fund-raiser could gain importance for post-Oscar revelers.

Other pre-Oscar events are going full speed ahead, including the annual Night Before party on Saturday, Feb. 23, and the Night Before the Night Before on Feb. 22.

The Independent Spirit Awards will go on as scheduled as well.

Vanity Fair inherited the party mantle after Irving “Swifty” Lazar stopped doing his hot-ticket event.

Other pre-Oscar parties will start the Wednesday before the Oscars, as studios traditionally hold events honoring their nominees, while consulates and other orgs host events.