The tale of an eccentric band of culinary ronin who guide the widow of a noodle shop owner on her quest for the perfect recipe, Tempopo is a rapturous “ramen western” by Japanese director Juzo Itami.
Vastly entertaining, this genre-bending adventure is underpinned by a deft satire of the way social conventions distort the most natural of human urges, our appetites.
Interspersing the efforts of Tampopo (Nobuko Miyamoto) and friends to make her café a success with the erotic exploits of a gastronome gangster and glimpses of food culture both high and low, the sweet, sexy, and surreal Tampopo is a lavish paean to the sensual joys of nourishment, and one of the most erotic examples of food on film ever made.
1985 * 114 minutes * Color * Monaural * In Japanese with English subtitles * 1.85:1 aspect ratio
SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
* New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
* The Making of “Tampopo,” a ninety-minute documentary from 1986, narrated by director Juzo Itami
* New interview with actor Nobuko Miyamoto
* New interviews with ramen scholar Hiroshi Osaki; food stylist Seiko Ogawa; and American chefs Sam White, Rayneil De Guzman, Jerry Jaksich, and Anthony Bourdain
* Rubber Band Pistol, Itami’s 1962 debut short film
* New video essay by Tony Zhou and Taylor Ramos on the film’s themes of self-improvement and mastery of a craft
* New English subtitle translation
* PLUS: An essay by food and culture writer Willy Blackmore
CAT. NO. CC2748BD
CAT. NO. CC2749DDVD